Blackout

Thadji

He left us today. I can't stop thinking about the countless joyful memories that he has left for me. He was everything a grandfather should be. He showered his unconditional love on me in his very special way. Some of my very vivid memories of a joyful childhood were my moments with him. My earliest memories are of him taking me with his to the recreation club that he frequented. He would patiently put up with and even enjoy all my antics and never ever got cross at me...I remember thinking, why can't I always be with ammachi and Thadji. I remember when I bug him to tell me a story he would start the rhyme "கதையாம் கதையாம் காரணமாம் காரணத்துல ஒரு தோரணமாம்" and make me finish each line at the end of which I'd be giggling and laughing so much. He gave me the 'Wren and Martin' grammar text from his book shelf. He was my first English teacher. He taught me the difference between the perfect and the continuous tenses. When I was 7 I was hospitalized becaused I was severely jaundiced. When I got a little better, I complained that I was bored and sick of staying in bed. The next day he started bringing me tinkle comics and gokulam children's magazine...My love of reading probably started from that very incident. We had a fun game which we played as a spin off of the sketching challenge from Gokulam magazine. We would take a note pad and take turns making small scribble or squiggly line. The other person had to make use of that line to sketch an image. His sketches were so cool. I had so much fun trying to conjour up a sketch as good as the one he did. He had a unique laugh which expressed his pure joy at the simple things in life. His sense of humor was contagious. I've always seen him in a neutral pastel shade half sleeve shirt and a white dhoti with a small clean handkerchief folded into his pocket...I am glad I got the opportunity to take my daughter, his great grand daughter to him...I am glad he held her in his hands just as he held me. He was a man who seldom spoke ill of others...he didn't dwell on negativity at all...he always surrounded himself with pleasant thoughts and deeds. My Thadji wanted to live long and he did. He lived a complete and full life. A year back he met with an accident while riding his Sunny, he spoke to me after he was back from brain surgery. He said..."the doctor and everyone else wants me to quit taking the Sunny...I've decided that, may be I'll just walk to the club from now on..." This was at the age of 82. He never lost hope over anything. I've learned so much from my Thadji. But most of all I've learned to strive to be positive always. He has touched so many with his simple and just nature. He was an artist. Soft at heart. A gentle and loving soul. May you rest in Peace Thadji. I am sure I have given you at least 1% of the joy you gave me. I love you Thadji and I always will.

2 comments:

Roshini said...

This is the first time in my life that i am experiencing the pain of losing someone so close to me.It really breaks my heart to think about the moment when i am going to visit Dindugal the next time and realize that thaaji is not going to be there.I convince my mind by repeatedly saying to myself that Thaaji had a very beautiful and fulfilled life and it was time for him to rest in peace.He was an amazing grandfather,infact the best a person could ever ask for.There hasnt been a single birthday of mine for which my grandparents havent called up to wish,or have been without sending me a "money order" with lines of prayers and wishes on it.I remember Thaaji telling me that when i was born , he told my mum and dad that he would be able to identify me even amidst 100 babies:-)I loved those childhood days when all the cousins would gather up at Dindugal during summer vacations.He would take us to the "park near the theater" almost every evening.He would get us rented cycles to ride on.He has taken us to many movies,one which i remember is "Kandukondein Kandukondein".He would make sure that we were kept entertained all through our stay there.I will cherish the memories of those days when Thaaji took us all (hepzi,alex,amalan and myself) near the railway crossing on harrington road to watch the trains.Everytime one of my shows came up on TV,he would call up and tell me how he was happy and proud of me when people told him "Unga pethi ya TV la parthom sir" and i can never forget his trademark "Laugh" he gave after that statement.:-)it still rings in my ears...Every moment i spent with him was memorable and he was a person who was loved by all...I miss you and love you so much Thaaji...May you rest in peace...

anitha shalini said...

Beautiful Comment dee. Had fresh tears reading this. ((HUGS))